(location: anywhere in the Middle East or Europe)
Manara is a bold social impact startup whose mission is to unlock human potential and diversify the global tech sector while uplifting the economies of the Middle East & North Africa (MENA), with a focus on women and Palestine. We are funded by the world’s top investors: Y Combinator, Stripe, Paul Graham, Seedcamp, and Reid Hoffman. We identify the top computer scientists in the MENA region, teach them how to pass interviews, vet them, and help them find amazing jobs (whether remote or on-site). It works: companies like Google and Meta tell us we’re the best solution they’ve found for diverse talent. Alumni from Palestine say we’ve created a revolution there: people now believe anything is possible.
As Manara’s Head of Marketing, you will be a hands-on leader overseeing our entire marketing function globally, driving growth in a two-sided marketplace. Reporting directly to the CEO, you will be responsible for establishing and maintaining all marketing channels. This job is full of opportunity for someone who is equal parts strategist and doer. You understand what it takes to succeed in an early-stage startup and can operate with a shoe-string budget, doing most work yourself and hiring cost-effective freelancers/agencies or junior team members globally when appropriate. Your work will cover everything from audience research and landscape review to ICP persona development, B2B and B2C campaigns, conferences and other IRL events, newsletters, monthly podcast, and community moderation.
- B2B Marketing is for companies seeking to hire talent. Your audience is talent acquisition professionals (recruiters), Diversity & Inclusion professionals (DEI), and engineering leaders especially in Europe (United Kingdom, Germany, Ireland, Nordics) at tech companies and companies from other industries (banking, automotive, etc) of all sizes (50-person startups through 200k-person enterprises).
- B2C Marketing - Software engineers and other tech professionals in the Middle East & North Africa who have big dreams, with a focus on women.
You will be an individual contributor running the B2B side - the most important for our growth at this time. You will also manage/coach a tiny team (1-4 people including freelancers) on the B2C side. You will build the team over time as we grow.
Note: Diverse candidates often screen themselves out of job applications if they don’t have all the qualifications. Please apply if you’re excited about the role - we’d love to see your application!
- Growth Marketing: You are masterful at understanding your audience and experimenting with creative strategies to attract new customers on a scrappy budget. You thrive in an environment where the marketing strategy & execution are being established for the first time, and where the marketing team’s results have an immediate critical impact on the business. You understand that the best user experiences are designed end-to-end, and work closely with sales and product to test and experiment with different strategies and tactics to drive growth.
- B2B Marketing: You understand the differences between B2B and B2C marketing. You love learning about enterprises and startups. You collaborate closely with a sales team. You are laser-focused on generating new leads and building relationships with them until they are ready to be handed over to the sales team.
- Metrics-driven: You believe that if it can’t be measured it doesn’t count. You dream about CAC and customer acquisition funnels at night. You are adept at using analytics to benchmark progress and make informed marketing choices, and share dashboards and campaign data proactively with others on your team. You are extremely comfortable leveraging tools like google analytics, CRM, EMS and other marketing automation software. Bonus points if HubSpot is your go-to tool.
- Designing & managing multi-channel campaigns: You strategically develop campaigns to generate new leads and convert them for both account-based marketing and traditional marketing. You build campaigns that strategically include content, events, communities, partner marketing, and paid advertising to acquire leads.
- Content creation: You write excellent B2B content, and manage the creation of other forms of content (e.g., podcasts, videos).
- Fluent in English: All marketing content must be published in English, with our B2B efforts specifically focused on the European and US markets. Stories and social media for our talent acquisition side must also be published in English.
- Hustle & Project Management: As a small startup, we depend heavily on each person to be reliable and effective. You get things done efficiently and accurately, with finished products that you and Manara can be proud of. You manage the team’s execution and cross-functional collaboration.
- Collaboration/team player: You can work effectively with other people at Manara. You are able to set boundaries and are able to share your ideas in a constructive manner and are open to feedback. You excel at building great working relationships with other teams (e.g. Sales)
- Ambiguity: You are comfortable with the chaos, rollercoaster, and constant change that naturally occurs at an early-stage startup. In fact, you view it as an opportunity to leave your mark!
Knock Our Socks Off
- Event & community management: Manara is building a community of talent and industry professionals that are passionate about our work, including engineering mentors, DEI & talent acquisition professionals, etc. If you are not a community & event manager, you will at least tap into our existing community and eventually manage someone who can scale it effectively.
- PR: As our main marketing leader, you will be in charge of running PR campaigns, contracting with agencies or freelancers when we deem this to be a priority. Our team has strong experience in this area and can train you.
- Talent Industry or Software Engineering Expertise: Prior exposure to talent teams, recruiters, DEI professionals, or engineering leaders is not required but would accelerate your ability to understand our audience.
- Brand-Focused Storyteller: Our stories and mission are the backbone of Manara’s brand. Our team is strong in this area; you will need to ensure we remain strong.
- Social Media Whiz: You will manage our tiny but mighty social media team. It’s a plus if you can step in to run social media when they’re on vacation. This involves sharing stories in creative ways & growing segmented audiences on social media, including Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Tiktok, YouTube.
- Marketing & Design Tool Experience: Having a good eye and the ability to provide clear direction and feedback to designers is helpful, as is familiarity with tools like Canva, InDesign, Figma and Sketch.
- Remote: You have experience working on effective remote teams & love the flexibility it offers.
- Passion for Manara’s mission of creating a community that unlocks the full potential of top tech talent in MENA (with a focus on Palestine & women).
- Fluency in Arabic: This is not required, but is a plus if you have it. If you don’t speak Arabic, you’ll manage other resources to publish stories & social media in this language.
We are a fully remote team, so you can be located anywhere in the Middle East. Our team is located in Dubai, Palestine (West Bank), Turkey, United Kingdom, France, and the United States. You must be online Monday through Friday from 8am-12pm PT to facilitate our remote collaboration and work closely with our leadership team in California.